The genesis of the Porsche 356 began in March 1948 with a small factory in Gmünd, Austria. Ferry Porsche, son of engineer Dr. Ing Ferdinand Porsche, designed and built a small two-seater sports car, which would be the first car to bear his family’s name. This automobile, designated the 356, came to define Porsche until 1965, and it would create the blueprint for both the appearance and technical layout of Porsches for years to come. The most potent mechanical variation of the 356 was the Carrera model, which was powered by the slightly detuned, Fuhrmann-designed four-camshaft, 1,600-cubic centimeter racing engine. Available in both “GT” race specification and “GS” touring specification, Porsche made sure that their new engine could be marketed on a platform to individuals who were looking to spend time on the track, or to those who were looking to drive down the Autobahn in style.
The Porsche 356 A Carrera 1600 GT we are offering here is chassis 108645. The 1600GT was then the most radical 356 in production. Fitted with aluminum doors, lid and bonnet, the car was equipped with a larger fuel tank, thinner windows and leather-latch window levers. Produced between 1958 and 1959, this example is the second to last 1600 GT model built and left the production line on the 6 of August 1959. It was originally finished in Rubinrot (code 702) with black leatherette to the interior and black floor mats. A color combination which it still retains today. As per records, it was initially destined to be fitted with engine number 95050 but as it was often the case with Carrera engines, it was replaced by the factory in its very early days (possibly prior its delivery) with engine number 95037. The four-speed transmission was 716/1 type number 29496.
Upon completion at Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen, 108645 was destined to the Porsche concessionaire in Algiers and its first owner Mr Poch.
108645 was purchased in the 70s by Mr Bordage from Libourne in France, near Bordeaux. He kept the car for some time before putting an advert in the famous LVA magazine. At this stage the car was purchased by Christophe Tanner, a well known Porsche expert in Switzerland, who performed a first restoration on the car in 1985. Upon completion, Tanner sold the car to German Porsche enthusiast and collector Jörg Steidinger from Stuttgart, who only drove the car occasionally during his ownership, which ended in 1999. At that time, the car passed on to a renowned French collection. In 2005 the car was purchased by Claude Picasso, son of Pablo Picasso, who kept the car for 5 years before it was acquired by its current owner in 2010. In 2015 he decided to take 108645 to world-renowned Carrera engine experts Karl Hloch for a full engine rebuild, of which invoices are available. Ever since, the car has covered a mere 1,500 km and is in exceptional condition throughout, ready for immediate enjoyment.
108645 represents the opportunity to acquire a centerpiece to any significant Porsche collection.